Friday, August 7, 2009

Preschool

Several people have wondered what I do with Carolyn for preschool time…so, that is why I am making a post about what our Preschool Agenda is like. It's nothing fancy and I do it on a very low budget.

1. Opening Songs and Stretches (Usually primary songs)
2. Calendar (I think this is where Carolyn originally learned to count to 30 because we talk all about what day it is (put a sticker on the day in the calendar) and then count the days in the month)
3. Weather Report
4. Nursery Rhyme Time
5. Learning to Read (I've made a few things where Carolyn can practice forming words together - I usually base it on "word chunks" (ie. -ar, -it, -at, -ow, etc. ) We also read words on flashcards that I made or attempt to read some words in a book (in easy reader books)...and other stuff likethat).
6. Read Aloud
7. Mathematics (Right now we are practicing counting. I've drawn/printed out pictures that Carolyn counts. We also have a folder where we add one object a day to the folder (right now we are adding beans). We add one bean a day and then count the total number of beans. We'll do this until we have 100 beans and then start with a new object to count.....we also do stuff with shapes and a little bit of adding).
8. Silly Songs with Mommy (finger plays, primary songs, etc.)
9. Animal of the Week (We usually either read a nonfiction animal book we got from the library or read a fun fact sheet I made (I just put pictures of the animal and some fun facts about them that Carolyn and I can read).
10. Eternal Truths (We either read from "The Friend," I teach her a lesson about something gospel-related, talk about an article of faith (inspired by my friend, Lisa), try to learn a scripture verse, etc.)
11. Writing (practice writing words, names, etc.) She has a "journal" that she loves practicing writing in.
12. Craft

Anyways, that’s what we do for preschool time for anyone that cares :) I love how kids have such a love for learning – so I definitely try to not mess that up with Carolyn. She sets the pace for learning stuff. She really does love preschool and never wants it to end :) I’m always amazed at how much she picks up and remembers.

Of course, Angela gets her preschool time after Carolyn’s turn. She loves to sing, talk about animals, read books, and do puzzles with me for her preschool time.
Anyways, now I need your frugally minded ideas for teaching!


6 comments:

Mommy said...

I love your pre-school at-home schedule. I did the same for all of you when you were young. Sometimes I included neighborhood friends and traded, but if not, I did my own thing.
Is it now more trendy to do a pre-school at home rather than to take your child to a pre-school?
I hope so. I always thought that home was much better.
I also liked library activities. I taught at the library in New Jersey for a little while when Richard and Andrea were young. Do you remember? I had fun doing that.
Love, Mom

janeil said...

Your such a great mom. I am excited to get Anna going in Preschool again.

Michelley said...

YOU ARE SO AMAZING! I can't believe you do this. You're inspiring - I really need to start this. When do you do all the planning for this?

brenley said...

wow, some great ideas! i was doing a mommy school with jorgen for a long time and then when we moved here it stopped. two more weeks and we'll be home and i want to put some of your ideas to use. jorgen struggles counting to 20 so i want to use your calendar idea for jorgen. kids learn so fast, especially with repetition. i am so glad you posted this. and i like that you switch off preschool time with both kids. their designated mommy time. thanks!

Aubrey and Jardan said...

Thanks for this post! Question: what kind of crafts do you do (or how do you think them up)?

Shauna@shwinandshwin said...

LOVE IT! I have been trying to do something like this with Jude (we are working on phonics) Your schedule is inspiring, what great ideas! I also loved your novel! what a great summer! Your girls are so lucky to have such a loving and devoted mom!