Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Emergency Supply of Laundry Detergent: Check!

My lovely friend, Lisa, introduced me to an amazing novelty: Homemade Laundry Detergent. There are only 3 inexpensive ingredients that you need to make it…so, if you want to have something to wash your clothes with in your emergency supply – just buy these three inexpensive ingredients and, if there were to be an emergency, you’d be set to wash your clothes!

My sister, Michelle, wanted me to post more details about making the detergent on the blog. Basically, you can find everything you need to know here. The only thing that might be hard is knowing where to find the stuff…so here is where I got my stuff:
Fels Naptha Soap: I couldn’t find this type of soap so I used the second choice (Zote)). I found it at Walmart in the Laundry Aisle for less than a dollar. I think that I’ll use Zote every time because it is really easy to grate! (I hear Fels Naptha takes a lot of time to grate…


Washing Soda: Not found at Walmart – it was at my local grocery store (King Soopers) for about $4…the most expensive item. It was in the Laundry Aisle.


Borax Powder: It was at Walmart – I think it was around $2.


For the Washing Soda and Borax you only use 1 c. of each item for a year's supply so that will last a few years…and as far as the soap goes…I doubled the recipe so I used 2/3 of the bar...I will have to spend a buck next year for my detergent - but that's it.

My sister also wanted me to post pics:

I actually do use my cheese grater to grate the soap.... Boiling the ingredients together:
I put my detergent in a 5 gallon bucket (I doubled the recipe)...my friend, Lisa, made the detergent back in June in a 5 gallon bucket and still has half of it left...

5 comments:

janeil said...

I have been wanting to try this but didn’t know anyone personally who had, to tell me if it worked or not so I am so glad you love it. And now I am going to have to make someJ

The Lambert Family said...

Good info. Thank you! :)

Michelley said...

Yes, please let us know once you've tried using it. I'm curious how well it works. Thanks for posting! I'll have to check that website and see if there is an alternative to the washing soda. Mark is allergic to baking soda - I'm guessing they are similar?

Jen said...

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it too.

brenley said...

great ideas (both detergent and the preschool corner...once we have more space, i really want to have something like that). i love the pictures of picking out your tree. i bet your home smells lovely!! so sad you won't be in utah for christmas but totally understand how traveling can be hard on little ones! i hope angela gets back to her sleeping routine soon! for both of your sakes :)