Sunday, October 18, 2015

Part of Andrew's Journal Entry Today...

October 18, 2015
Today in church was the primary program.  It was so awesome to see my girls get up there and be in front of the members of the church.  They sang so beautifully.  Each of them had a talking part, and each of them had it memorized and performed it perfectly.  Most of Emily’s class (sunbeams) went to the podium and waited for the program leader to whisper their part in their ears.  As Emily walked to the podium, we could hear her whisper to the teacher that she could do it herself.  It was pretty cute.  She then stood up and gave her part.  Angela’s part was a bit longer, and took her some time to memorize.  It was fun to see her stand up and say it beautifully.  She had a big smile on her face, and she said it more smoothly and beautifully then she had ever practiced it.  I do think she received some help from heaven.  In addition to Carolyn saying her part really well, she also played the violin with two of her classmates and with Sister.  They played Come Follow Me, which was beautiful.  She is quite the talented young lady.  It also struck me when she stood up there today how old she is becoming.  She is quite the beautiful young lady, not in a little kid way like I have seen her in the past, but just sheer beauty.  She already mentions that she thinks some boys in her class at school might have a little crush on her, and I don’t blame them.
Yesterday was Saturday, and Jannie took all of the girls up to Brighton to see old friends of ours.  Emily and I stayed back and got to spend a good 4 hours with each other.  We had so much fun.  All of this happened after Emily’s soccer game, which ended with another 4 goal performance by her.  I truly believe that she was the best player in her league this year, and generally outscored the other teams by herself despite having 7 kids on her team, and thus, playing in less than half of the game.  Anyway, after her game, she and I went to the bank (which she called the worst part of her day), then went to get some donuts at King Soopers, then walked over to Orange Julius and got a couple of Orange Juliuses to enjoy our donuts with.  We played Jenga at the Orange Julius, and it was all a lot of fun.  We came home and played even more games.  She is quite the competitive little girl, as she beat me at Sorry, Chutes and Ladders, and Memory.  We also played Bowling and Tennis on the Wii.  Finally, we at some lunch together and watched Shrek.  She was beaming from the experience and it strengthened our relationship. 
A few things about the girls:
Tommy – Tommy is just a little cutie.  He really likes going outside and sitting all bundled up in his car seat.  He just started smiling a week or so ago.  I am still not sure what causes the smiles since they are at random moments, but it is sure a joy to watch.
Emily – She loves games, as mentioned above.  She will play games all day long if she could.  She is also very proud of her ability to get icy cold water for everyone at dinner time.  She moves her chair over to the refrigerator and fills everyone’s cups with ice and water.
Angela – She is in gymnastics right now, and absolutely loves it.  She then comes home and never stops doing gymnastics.  Whether we’re having FHE, eating dinner, watching a show together, she will be doing somersaults off the couch, be doing a cartwheel or a handstand in the corner, or doing some other gymnastics type of activity.  She is also particularly grateful these days, saying thank you all the time to people in her family.
Carolyn – She is an amazing young lady.  We went to a baptism yesterday for a nine-year old named Addison.  Carolyn hadn’t met her, but wanted to attend since they are the same age.  She came home excited about how she made Addison laugh four different times.  She is a little goofball, but I got to see one of those times, and she was joking about how loud I get watching games.  As I mentioned above, she is also getting so beautiful too.  I love seeing her interact with other kids – she has an infectious little personality.
Finally, during General Conference a few weeks ago, I felt like I should write down some of the spiritual experiences that I have had in my life.  I am not sure exactly where to start, but I will randomly write down some of these impressions as I make time to hear in my journal.
Spiritual Experience – October 2001
About a year into my mission, we met a man while tracting who was a member of one of the large Christian churches nearby.  I don’t remember the name of it, but somebody told me that the church had funded one of the prominent anti-mormon videos that was out there.  Anyway, this man was eloquent, intelligent, and knew the Bible.  He said some things over the course of the evening that shook my faith.  It wasn’t anything new or that I hadn’t heard before, but for some reason, it really bothered me in this instance.  I went home that night and called my mission president, who wisely did not give me answers to my doctrinal questions, but said that I should turn to the Lord.  I did just that.  I spent the next week or two wrestling with the Lord.  I don’t remember a lot about those weeks, except that I was anxious. 
Wonderfully, this happened shortly before General Conference.  Our district went to the church to watch the conference together, and Saturday morning, Elder Eyring gave a talk about Prayer.  He spoke about how he saw an increased spirituality as he saw the strength of prayers increase after 9/11.  He spoke about Joseph Smith and how he prayed and received an answer to his prayers.  It was funny because I looked around during the talk and the people around me seemed to act the way people do during normal talks, but for me, the Spirit testified with great power that the gospel was true and that this talk was an answer to my prayer.  I can’t describe how powerful the Spirit was.  I was sitting there amidst the small congregation that came together to watch the conference with tears coming down my cheeks and with an assurance that God loves me, that He answers prayers, and that the gospel was true.  Over the course of the remainder of my mission and at times thereafter, I would listen to this talk and would again receive the assurance of the truthfulness of the gospel. 
This moment was a turning point in my mission.  I believe I was a pretty good missionary before that, obedient, fairly eloquent, and tried to work hard.  However, I began to testify differently in the weeks thereafter.  The reactions to my testifying were different as well.  People could tell that the power of my testimony was strong and that I truly believed the things I was saying.  I had a real power that was with me, and had success in testifying as a result. 
I love this gospel, and wish that I would remember Christ with a little more consistency in my life, and to think of these moments where my testimony and reliance upon God was most prominent.  In my moments of greatest need, God has never left me alone.  He has been with me, answered my prayers, and testified of His love for me.  This was never truer than when I heard Elder Eyring’s talk.

No comments: